Wednesday, January 4, 2012

The Space Between

School keeps me busy most of the time, and Christmas was busting at the seams with activity, but this past week, we discovered the beauty of the space between.

With no school and no activities, and with the Christmas schedule completed, we had time. We fit in some big activities (ice skating with Trey and Erin and The Children's Museum with Mia, Nana and DD... and of course, there was passing around an illness). But we also had about 100 little activities right here at home.

We painted. And glittered. And cut tiny bits of paper. And used up most of the stickers in our house on 'projects'.

And bathed mid-day. And splashed most of the water out of the tub.

And put our new make-up kits to good use. And applied more removable tattoos than we had skin for.

And occasionally, we did played with toys or watched tv or spent some time outside.

For a little while, we just took up the space between Christmas and school. And while it lasted, it was wonderful.

Although... to be honest... by the last day of Christmas vacation, mom seemed like she had had enough... and I had become immune to the sound of her voice for all of the time spent together... and Kate was not willing to paint one.more.thing. And I did not want to share my stuff anymore.
So, I loved the space. But Nana kept singing to Mommy a line from "It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas", and I think I get it now too: "...And Mom and Dad can hardly wait for school to start again." I get it now. It's not about not wanting to be together. It's just that a little bit of routine and structure goes a long way!
So, of the people who can hardly wait for school to start again... I am top of that list!


Love,
Avery

No comments:

Post a Comment