Monday, January 9, 2012

Ten Things About Life These Days

1. This post is back-dated. It's two weeks late. It's appropriate to start with this fact because it is representative of the larger...

2. In 3 years of schooling, not one of my children has ever been late to school. Until this week. Now I proudly display this on my fridge. It's like a special badge of dishonor.


3. Kate has been sneaking down the stairs in the middle of the night and climbing into our bed with us. Most of the time I don't notice until I get up to feed Ree at 5:30 or so, but even when I do... I must be getting soft in my old age because I just think it is too sweet.

4. My husband is amazing. And I mean ah-may-zing. I found dresses on etsy that I couldn't live without but refused to pay the price that was being asked... so we spent some Christmas money, bought a sewing machine, enlisted the help of my sister to pick out the fabrics, and in 36 hours, Jordan sewed 5 full dresses. Two extras because Reese is rounder than we thought, and even with an extra half-inch, couldn't fit into the first two dresses we made her.


5. Last Monday it poured. And I mean POURED. Kate was all ready for gymnastics but our car wasn't going anywhere:
But no worries. A mid-day bath seems to heal all sorrows.


6. Girl Scouts. Avery joined at the beginning of the semester and is just about too much in her little blue Daisy vest. She loves it and we love the company she's keeping (solid kids). This week started cookie sales and Avery was determined to sell 650 boxes. No amount of gentle reasoning was going to sway her from her goal. Her faith in herself is unwavering. And I decided not to squash her optimism, so I let it go. A week in, she counted her cookie sales and realized she's 549 boxes away from her original goal, so she set another one: 165 boxes. Although she's not totally convinced that 650 is out of reach. Bless her.



7. Katie got her first real haircut this week. Last Spring Break, her sister cut her bangs and so we had to get that cleaned up, but she's never had a real haircut before. I took her in to my lady who treated Kate like royalty. Avery is usually shy and processes the whole event quietly, but Kate was 100% her own girl. She followed the hairdresser to the sinks alone, sat tall, straight and proud, and smiled and chatted with Ms. Sarah. She felt like a princess. As my mom said, she's been waiting her turn for 3 years and she knew how to make the most of every moment of it.


8. The girls are still into playing Baby Macy (the real Macy, incidentally, is not a baby at all). It is the perfect game for them: Kate whines and whimpers like a baby and Avery mothers her and tells her exactly what to do. Avery had a day off of school and they spent the entire day playing Baby Macy. I could barely get their attention for how enthralled they were in each other and in the game. Getting along with each other isn't always that easy, but when they are, it is such a beautiful thing to behold.


9. My house is a wreck. I'd post pictures but I'm pretty sure no one else in the world lives like this. I'd rather you think of the worst your house gets and assume mine looks that good. I'm not terribly concerned about it - my life/room/locker/dorm has always been a wreck. But one day, 20 years from now, maybe it'll be less wreck-ish?

10. These girls. And their Daddy. I am desperately and joyfully theirs.
CLICK HERE FOR MORE PICTURES FROM THE WEEK

1 comment:

  1. Love the dresses. Good job, and I am proud of you. Reese is no longer a baby, she sure has grown up.

    ReplyDelete