Monday, September 15, 2008

St. Peter's and Ike

This week, I got to go to school for the very first time.  On Wednesday night, I helped Mommy and Daddy load up my school bag with a change of clothes (just in case), my nap mat, and some special notes for my teacher.  Mommy made my lunch and spent a sentimental moment reflecting on how this was the first lunch she's ever packed.  Mommy and Daddy even tried out my ice-pack with milk sippy cup combo to make sure it'd stay the right temperature at school (it's a good thing they did because the "leak proof" cup leaked all over the ziploc bag!  I wouldn't have had any drink at lunch!  Crisis averted...)
On Thursday when I woke up, Daddy was still at home for breakfast and getting ready time.  He followed Mommy and I to St. Peter's, this place Mom had taken me to play at once before.  We walked into the same classroom, where these nice ladies, Ms. Georgia and Ms. Jennifer, greeted me.  They took me to wash my hands at the sink. I grinned at Mom and Dad the whole time.  When my hands were clean, Mom and Dad asked for a kiss and told me they'd be back at 2.  I wasn't really sure what they were talking about (why would they leave me here?), but I accepted their words and went to ask Ms. Georgia about the Belle costumes (they were already on 2 other friends... Mom is not sure how they handled that without a meltdown).  Mommy was the only one who cried at all, and Daddy said he was so proud of her for "growing up".  Mommy says this letting go and letting grow stuff is tough!
While Mommy ran errands, scrubbed toilets, and vaccuumed, all helper-free, I was busy as well.  My daily report said I was friendly and happy all day, played with play-dough, painted, and loved music and movement time.  I even got to have my back patted for an hour until I finally fell asleep during rest time!  (Something I've been asking Mommy for each bedtime routine ever since...)  Mommy was so proud that her heart swelled up when she came to get me and found out what an amazing day I'd had.  Ms. Georgia and Ms. Jennifer even got impromptu hugs before I said goodbye!
On Friday, the funniest thing happened.  I woke up and Daddy was home from work again!  This time, it was because some storm was forming in the Gulf and he needed to stay home and get the house ready.  I didn't hear much more about the storm until Mom and Dad put me to bed that night, in their room instead of mine.  And then, at 2:30 am, when the storm was beating on their windows, they decided to move everyone to the closet under the stairs.  I slept through the whole move, and would've slept through the whole storm, except that there was a very nervous red dachsund whimpering next to my ear.  I woke up around 2:45 and thought it was the coolest thing ever to be in a "Tink" closet (we had a lantern in there that looked something like what Tink would stay in) with my family.  While Mom, Oscar, Dottie and I all stayed safely inside, Daddy was busy patrolling the area.  Our backyard was being pounded, but our front yard was barely seeing anything, so Daddy let me come watch for a while in the front yard.  I was in excellent spirits and played happily with my pricesses, Mommy's face, the lantern... anything at all!  Finally, at 6 am, the storm was dying down and Mom and Dad could barely hold their eyes open anymore, so they put me back in the pack and play and climbed in bed themselves.  (That only lasted until 8 am, when I decided I was ready to greet the day!)  By 10 am, things had calmed down considerably, although it was still raining.  Daddy fixed the fence in the 2 spots it blew over and assessed damage on his grill, which also took a hit in the wind.  Besides that, our house was safe and sound!
Once the curfew was lifted, we went to see the damage and visit Amanda and David at Nana and DD's house.  We saw some interesting things, including a house frame that had been blown into another house, the FEMA caravan to Galveston, and really high waters.  We somehow managed to get ourselves into a scary position when we were traveling down Barkers Cypress and came across running water, that looked like rapids, going across an intersection (not deep).  Daddy's skill and God's protection got us across just fine, but we were very careful about high water from then on.
We lost power only briefly but have neighbors who still don't have any - schools are closed here today and tomorrow for repairs, and Daddy is at home once again.  I'm going to get really used to having him here!
Love,
Safe and Sound Avery

No comments:

Post a Comment