Sunday, May 22, 2011

Goodbye, St. Peter's...

It happens every day. Some days I am more aware of it than others, but every day, nonetheless, my babies grow up more and more and get closer and closer to the day they will spread their wings and fly away.

It may sound melodramatic, but I'll beg for grace: I'm pregnant, and my biggest baby just graduated from pre-school.

I've been emoting about this event all year - I vacillate between pride, fear, excitement, worry, sadness, determined readiness... but it really hit home last Friday. We were picking Kate up from her last day of pre-school. No biggie, right? She'll be back for 3 more years. But Jordan looked down at Avery as we were walking to Kate's room and asked her, "Avery, are you going to miss this school next year when you don't come here anymore?"

And it hit me. Avery will no longer consider those hallways familiar. She is not a pre-schooler any more. She is my grade-school child. And it is so, so bittersweet.

I am so thankful for Avery's pre-school experience. And Avery is going to rock Kindergarten with eagerness, intelligence, and a pocketful of attitude. I know she's ready. It's just that I sent a little girl to pre-school every day for the last 3 years. When did she grow up? Isn't the cliche of time flying prevalent enough to encourage me to stop and soak it all up? But even when I did... she kept growing.

And I am so proud that she did.

One thing I did, somewhat flippantly and for no real reason, is sign Avery up for half-days on Fridays and Kate up for full days. I couldn't have guessed that this would turn out to be such a precious, precious time for Avery and I (and, as often as possible, Daddy too). This past Friday, as we shared our final Friday lunch date, I praised God for the extra hours we got to spend every week. Next year, she'll be a big kid in 5 full days at school. But this year, I got to have those extra hours, once a week, to know my big girl.

St. Peter's gifted us with such a special parting gift - both girls received photo albums from the year, chronicalling their days. I'm so glad they did, because this Momma has looked over those pictures 100 times in the last week, reveling in each moment that my girls have been blessed to experience. And there are two pictures in particular of the girls meeting up at the playground that may go down in McClinton family history as my favorite photos of them of all time. It is so sweet to get a glimpse of their love for each other outside of our familiar environment.

Avery girl, I've loved watching you take St. Peter's by storm. In just a few months, I'll get to watch you embrace your new school, "the Stanley Horses". There's no doubt, you were born to fly.

1 comment:

  1. Ok Ang, no fair making me cry. :o) Seriously though, you did a great job giving me an inkling of what you might be feeling right now. We are so proud of Avery too!

    ReplyDelete