Monday, May 6, 2013

Kate-isms


Kate has been really distraught over not knowing what she wants to be when she grows up.  Although we’ve tried to help her relax and told her that she has plenty of time to decide, the topic comes up a lot these days.  

Recently, while we were driving home from pre-school, Kate piped up with this series of thoughts:
(With great excitement) “Mommy!  I know what I can do!  I can have a special magical necklace when I grow up, and whatever I wish on it to be, I can be it!  I can be a dolphin trainer one day and then wish to be a cowgirl and then wish to be a prima ballerina!..."

(Brief pause, followed by a tinge of sadness and disappointment) “…but Mommy, I know where we can find the string for the necklace, but I don’t think we have a magical horse to string on it to make a wish on.  Do you think we have a magical horse to put on the string so we can make wishes?”

Poor girl, turns out we do not have a magical horse to put on the string so that particular solution didn’t pan out.



And, while getting ready for school: “I don’t want to wear my sparkly shoes anymore because my friend at school always tells me she wants my sparkles and I have to pick them off and give them to her.”
“Well, baby, you can just use your boundaries and tell your friend no.”
“But I can’t do that because she really likes the taste of the sparkles when she puts them inside of her mouth and swallows them.”
Needless to say, those shoes sat idle in the closet until the pre-school year was finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment