Sunday, April 26, 2009

Little Siblings


Dear Second (and all Subsequent) Children,

True, our lives are filled mostly with staring at ceiling tiles at various favorite establishments, sleeping and eating on the go, and generally being ignored.  And, for the most part, I am quite happy to take life in stride and follow sister to her appointments.  But, after 6 months with my family, I have found a few distinct and powerful ways to ensure that I am seen, heard, and appreciated.  What follows is a list I have complied to make sure other children aren't overlooked as I am often in danger of being.

1. When someone walks by as you lay on the floor, flap your arms and feet and grin from ear to ear, just in case they happen to look down at you and you might catch a moment's attention.

2.  Find your own niche.  For example, sister grew teeth late, I am doing it early.  Sister was ahead of the curve on physical movement, I refuse to sit.  Find ways to set yourself apart!

3.  Re-invent favorites.  If sister is small, I make sure I'm smaller.  She was 25% percentile at 6 months?  I'll weigh in at 7%.  She wore dark, long hair as a baby?  I'll make mine darker, longer, and sometimes curly. 
***Side Note:  6 month check up stats: 12 oz 13 lbs (between the 3rd-10th percentile) and 24.75 inches (between the 10th-25th percentile)

4.  Cry often.  And only stop if being held.  I first discovered this one as I observed sister.  At first I thought it, well... backhanded of her.  However, the more I watch, the more it seems like a viable option.  And, well, it works!  Especially if you smile, coo, and giggle at the person who picks you up after all the tears.

5. Make sure that every interaction with Mommy or Daddy makes their heart melt.  Grinning, giggling, hiding your head in their shoulder, holding hands while nursing... anything that might endear them to you - do it!  

I have already begun to notice that I spend less time in the car seat and more time either being held or laying near activities.  I even got to slide down a slide at Pump It Up on Friday!  Whether it is because I'm getting bigger and can do more (Mom's claim) or because my helpful hints really work, I can't say.

Good luck, little siblings.  Forge ahead!


Love,
Katie Beth, a member of the Little Siblings for 6 months

PS... Mommy says I have to tell you that it isn't as bad as I make it out to sound.  And she says I have to say I'm not as bad as I make me out to sound, too.

2 comments: