Monday, June 30, 2014

Reese's First Theater Trip

Joining the ranks of those who have grown before me, I finally got my first invitation to see a show at the theater!  

Sisters have told tales of horse-drawn carriage rides, restaurants that are more like amusement parks than eateries, and singing actors and actresses robed in glitter.  

Up until this week, it was always decided (by mom, of course) that I was too young for the event they call the theater, usually banned to infant-dom with Daddy as my guard.  Ah, but today!  Today, I chose a fancy dress alongside the elite.  Although, I didn't feel like letting anyone fix my hair... that seemed totally unnecessary to the experience.

I've been to The Downtown Aquarium before, but this time I saw it with new eyes.  There are fish as big as I am!  There are some with stripes and some with funny noses and even some long skinny ones.  Every time a new fish swam by, I'd have to run to tell Nana or DD what I'd seen.  It was awe-inspiring.

After dinner, the horses with the carriages seemed to have the night off, so we strolled to the theater for the main event.  

Inside, we peered over the orchestra pit and saw so many instruments!  The show itself (The Little Mermaid) was awesome - everyone wondered if I would be scared, but only King Triton was intimidating.  Hiding my face when he was around was sufficient.  It didn't start until 7:30 so Mama thought I might go to sleep during the second act, but there just wasn't a dull moment and I didn't want to miss anything!  Ariel swam up high on the stage (almost like she was floating!), and there was signing and dancing and magical fins-into-legs.  

If there was any doubt that I am old enough to enjoy the occasional kid-friendly musical, I took this opportunity to express my delight and clear any confusion.  No more leaving 'baby' out - I'm a cultured toddler now!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment