Saturday, June 15, 2013

"It's Not Easy Being Mom" - A Guest Post By Nana

This week the beautiful, wonderful McClinton girls are spending the week with us while Angela and Jordan spend some time with Trey and Erin in L.A. I had so many plans and really, I’ve raised three kids of my own, this should be physical but easy enough, right?

Monday night, everyone goes down for bed by 9:15, a little later than I expected but they are happy and sleeping. Tuesday morning we start with a four course breakfast (as requested by the girls; eggs, turkey bacon, sausage, fruit, panna-cakes, hot chocolate, milk, juice and later yogurt for Kate and Reese) and then dressed and off to VBS on time, (hair not fixed but combed, I think that counts). WOW. I’m exhausted but Reese and I have a little shopping to do so it’s off to Walmart where one little almost-two- year-old throws a fit if she’s not carried. So an hour later with purchases in hand we’re home, eating and napping and I still haven’t done the break
fast dishes! Good thing this is the night sweet friend Emilee is keeping the big girls overnight. I’ll catch up by then…

By Wednesday pick-up at VBS I am ready; well, not really, I’m still tired, back hurts and foot is swelling, and Reese is tired and throwing fits unless held everywhere we go. But we are early so we go potty (did I mention we are also at the beginning stages of potty-training? And yesterday was a day of several accidents, so I am super intuitive now, watching and responding to “teetee” comments in a flash). We go by Kate’s room. It’s dark. Over to the sanctuary for Avery. No one there. Back to Kate’s room. Still dark at 12:25. Back to the sanctuary- where we find Avery and head back for Kate. Her room is still dark. I ask and of course, that’s her preschool Bunny room, and (I knew this) she is in the Throne class two doors down! So there is Kate with her teacher, not upset but clearly wondering what happened to Nana. I apologize and we go on with our day of fun- ChickfilA, resting, swimming, everyone getting hugs and love and happy. And who cares that the house is now in full blown disaster mode? We did pick up the toys.

On Thursday we head to VBS, confident we are better prepared; we have our hair fixed, our cheese crackers for the donation box, our notes for Miss Kathy’s pick up for playtime, and smiles on all faces. We arrive at 9:30 and there is no one in the halls. No one. We go to Kate’s room and the student aide says the class is in music; VBS starts at 9:00 (I knew that); so we hurry to get Avery to the sanctuary and I crack up laughing.

Really, this is a hard job. And I will not comment when Angela loses her keys again. Or look at her house the way I look at mine. These girls are loving, helpful, forgiving, sweet to each other and Angela is doing a fabulous job. Just ask me. I don’t know how she does it!

Every grandparent should do this for a week or two. It keeps things in perspective. Only two days to go…and I’m loving it!  Nana

Click here for pictures

1 comment:

  1. I love this post!! Your sweet mom was so brave taking on the kids for the week, and look she has a new-found appreciation for you as a mom, which is totally different from you as her child! Sounds like a great time all around for everyone.
    Wonder if I can get my mother-in-law to guest post for me at the end of July?!!? :-)

    ReplyDelete