Monday, August 1, 2011

Life as Usual

There are details of life that currently seem as usual as breathing, but that will change or disappear without me even realizing it. I know this because when they brought Reese to me in the hospital, I was overcome with the smell of a new baby in a clean diaper... such a familiar smell and yet something I didn't even realize I'd forgotten along the way.

There are so many parts of life right now that make up life as usual. The good and the bad... I don't want any of it to get lost to my poor memory. To that end, here are a few details of life that will likely be foreign to me one day:

*The smell of Lavender Baby Bedtime lotion smeared all over a clean baby
*The sounds and smells of a newborn diaper that needs attention
*Nursing a baby and dressing a Barbie at the same time
*Finding lids from markers and Play-Doh containers all over the craft room floor
*The feel of a fat baby stomach to stomach with me while I watch tv
*Pulling a shirt from my drawer and finding a tiny sock or tiny undies stuck to it
*Smiling as I find glitter in my sheets because immediately after the latest craft project, it's time to feed the baby and that requires help from the big girls
*The grunts and gulps of Reese while nursing
*Forgetting that certain foods are on the 'do not eat while nursing' list and then apologizing to the baby later
*The way it feels to watch my girls interact, to see them all cuddled up with Daddy, and to feel surprise that I have the capacity to actually love them more every day when each day I already feel like my heart could explode

We are blessed beyond measure, and the work required of us has such immeasurable dividends!


1 comment:

  1. Love the new profile picture. Also, the drawing that Avery made is priceless. Reese is really growing.

    ReplyDelete