Monday, July 25, 2011

Transitioning and Adjusting

There are two new buzz words in our house lately - transitioning and adjusting. Everyone who talks about the new baby ends up using one of those buzz words, and I get the sneaking suspicion they're talking about me.

I love that new baby. I squeal and get in her face and kiss her and sing to her and bring her toys. She's something special. BUT I also have been having a lot of bathrooming issues, whining issues, direct defiance moments (a first for me!), and a specific problem with keeping my bowel movements under control while I'm swimming...

When we pulled up to Mom and Dad's house one night, I told Nana, "This is where Mommy and Daddy and Baby Reese live!" and later, when it was time to decide if we were spending the night at home or at Nana's house, I told Mom, "I go to your house with you because I Reese's sister. And Eggie come too because she my sister too." Nana figured out that what I was really wondering about is if that baby took my place and if I was supposed to live at Nana's from now on. Once they explained things a bit more to me, I understood and things have been slowly getting better... especially if I get to be close to Reese. Mom's not the pull. Dad's not the pull. My house isn't the pull. It's that spectacular new sister that I miss when I'm away from her.

No one expects the two-almost-three year old to adjust perfectly right away, but I'm working on it, and it helps that life at Nana and DD's is so special - swimming in my jammies or princess dresses, breakfast by the pool, visitors (great-grandparents!), birthdays to celebrate, and lots of attention to go around.



Love,
Kate Transitioning McClinton

No comments:

Post a Comment