Tuesday, April 3, 2012

My Nana and Me

Sometimes I really feel like a middle child.  Squished between two big personalities, I am sometimes too quiet to get the same kind of attention they get.
But don't worry.  My Nana and me have a special thing going.  She knows how important it is to give the middle child a little extra TLC.  She picks me up from school sometimes, and lays next to me and strokes my hair and whispers about the snacks she brought me.  I usually wake up grumpy at school, but when Nana is there, I always wake up with a smile.  

When dessert is being served, sometimes I get overlooked.  I wait patiently while everyone else is served but sometimes it's the squeaky wheel that gets the grease.  But just when I think I am going to cry because I've been forgotten, my Nana to the rescue!  She sees the look in my eyes and knows what's happening and she helps me speak up for myself like a big (polite) girl.

When I get really tired, or when Avery says she's had enough of me, or when I feel particularly middle-child-ish, I don't know how to say how I feel.  Nana knows how to interpret my signals though.  Like, one night, Mia and Avery were taking a warm bath but I didn't want to get in.  I decided it was too hot and no matter how much Mom tried to reason with me, I was not able to pull it together and get in the tub.  But you know what?  Nana knows how to treat each of her grandkids just like they need.  She helped me decide to take a shower instead and soon the tears were turned to giggles and a special grin that said, "I feel special!"

I know my Nana loves all of her grandbabies so much.  But she loves us uniquely, just how we want to be loved, and it makes me feel like I'm the one and only.

Thank heavens for Nanas.


Love,
Kate Middle Kid McClinton

No comments:

Post a Comment