Tuesday, February 7, 2012

100th Day and the Night that Almost Wasn't

First things first... I'm officially 100 days smarter! Yessss!


For the 100th day of school we had lots of fun activities. One of them was to wear a shirt with 100 of something on it. Most of my friends chose things like jewels, googly eyes, stickers... but of course, I had my own ideas. I knew immediately what I wanted on my shirt and I never wavered...


100 kitties!

You may remember from when the cat visited last April, but I LOVE cats. I want a cat so badly. Dad says no. Mom says no way. So instead of owning a cat, I wore cats. 100 of them.

The teacher next door to my class really likes me. Mom asks what I mean when I tell her this and I say, "She just likes me special. And I like her too." When she saw my 100 cats, she gave me a sheet of cat stickers. I carried those stickers ALL DAY long. To lunch. To music. To 100 day rotations. I didn't peel a single sticker off the whole school day. And the second I walked in the door at home, I sat down and used the stickers to make a card for my teacher and a thank you for the teacher who gave me the stickers. Mom was impressed. Apparently she thinks my Emotional Quotient is much higher than I let on.


Then there was this:

The Father Daughter Dance at Stanley!

Last Friday, Daddy and I got all dressed up and went to the Stanley Ball. It was actually at the high school since there were so many girls and dads who wanted to dance.

When I got home from school, I told dad, "We better change real quick! How many minutes do we have until the Ball?"

Um. We had 3 hours.

While I was waiting to get ready, Kate came down with a stomach virus and the baby screamed nonstop from teething. While the parents tended the other kids, I acted like I was at a spa. I was not fazed by a little hiccup.

Then, when it was time to fix hair and makeup, a storm blew in and knocked out the lights in our house. No worries. The sick kid and grumpy baby were both temporarily asleep, so Mom and Dad and I got ready by candlelight. I even got to put on makeup in the car.


"Dad," I asked, "Even if the lights are off at the ball, won't that be ok? Because sometimes dances are supposed to be dark, right?"

Dad promised that no matter what, he would find me some electricity and we would have a good time.

We made it to the Ball and the lights were working fine. I danced with my friends, with daddy, ate so many sweets, took pictures, and even saw real princesses! They came to sing to us and show us how to do a special dance with our daddies.

It was heaven, I tell you.

And since the lights were off and the sick kid and screaming baby were both miserable, Nana and DD came out to help Mom while Dad and I were gone. I was thrilled; they got to see all of my pictures once I got home and help tuck me into bed. What a special night that almost wasn't!


Love,
Avery


No comments:

Post a Comment